As part of the first assignment we have to create a card game with simple rules:
- It has to be fun
- it has to have a cool name
- It has to do something with time travel
- It has to have a really cool name!!
- A round has to last a max. of 10 mins
- If based on chance you the game should not be determined in the first round
- the rules have to fit a single page of A4
- there has to be some kind of a goal even without a winning condition
- It has to be fun!
So as a part of research stage we discovered a lot of people already dealing with the same steps of the design process. There are no rules when it comes to the creation process but a lot of card game designers dealt with a similar workflow: research & play – research again – prototype – test wih friends – change & expand – design – publish.
Here are some useful links that helped me and my team:
What perhaps helped the most was visiting and exploring designer forums. One of the most helpful resources during the research phase was the subreddit /r/gamedesign. Just a single search for “card” in the subreddit yielded lots of useful videos, resources and self posts in which people even prototyped games in posts. I like this approach a lot since at this point it became apparent that the game mechanichs plays a major role.